Friday, September 25, 2009

And so we move ever onward...

I am non confrontational by nature. Maybe it came from being Minnesotan. Maybe it came from living with My Dad during the years when I should have been fighting and cussing and gettin' bloodied up and wrastlin' bears. I just don't fight well.
I can sign petitions till my fingers are wobbly, and I can click a facebook application that somehow magically makes rainforests grow back or makes people realize that punching kids is wrong. I can actually click those apps longer than I can sign petitions.
I don't remember protesting anything in my life. I mean the kind you go to and hold a sign and chant a rhyming couplet that is both clever and thought provoking.
Maybe I don't go looking for things like that.
I heard that North Central High School is mounting a production of 'The Laramie Project'
That is the play based on the murder of Matthew Shephard, who in 1998 was killed because he was homosexual.
He was a victim of a hate crime, which I think is a ridiculous label for any kind of crime. He was murdered. That is a bad enough crime. You don't have to qualify it.
His Mother probably doesn't think much about the 'why he's dead' but much more the 'he is dead'
Her loss was 11 years ago, and this play about the townsfolk reaction to his murder (I have not seen it) is still making people think about how awful people can be to each other because of differences.
It is also being protested. Or rather, has been protested as of thursday afternoon.
apparently there is a church in Kansas that is all about hating things because they string up phrases from the bible and take them as literal truth. With unwavering devotion. Anyway, this group of churchy zealots travel all across the country holding up signs that say awful things.
Things like 'God Hates Fags' and 'Matthew Shephard is Burning in Hell' They also have ones that say Obama is the Beast, but I don't think that has anything to do with being gay...
Every once in a while you try and wrap your head around why people are the way they are. Obviously it has a lot to do with parenting. Kids don't really have a say in what religion they are a part of, their parents make the choice for them.
It must be the same way with hate.
I am really really glad my folks didn't hate anyone. I can't remember any point in my life where I heard anything mean come from my Mom. And while I lived with how intimidating my Father was, he didn't spout off racist comments or tell me I shouldn't be friends with certain people. I feel lucky because I have to make a conscious choice to dislike someone, But it is never about what color their skin is, or who their heart chooses to love. I dislike people because they are fucking assholes.
But you, I'm pretty sure you are alright.
If I ever am lucky enough to have children (not looking too good for your 31+ hero), I would hope that that is one trait I could pass to them. And it isn't like it would be a hard thing. It would really suck to have a racist kid, because then they would fall under that whole 'Fucking asshole' category.
Also, every racist person I have ever met is physically unattractive. I would have good looking tolerant children.
I felt I was going somewhere with that. Sorry for losing the choo choo of thought.

In other news, I am Roller Derby crazy.
Lisa, pants and I went to the farmer's market a couple weeks ago and wandered into the big building that serves as the nerve center of Ellenberger park. There was a Roller derby practice going on for the Circle City Socialites. I loved going to MN Rollergirl bouts with John, and a couple of Northstar Bouts with Haugie and Linds. I missed it. If you get a chance, you should go.
It was a closed practice, so one of the refs skated over and kicked us out. But before he did, I chatted him up and found that there is a Men's league that is taking novice skaters. And that is SO me. I cannot skate at all. But I am willing to fall as many times as it takes to eventually fuck some shit up. And that is ironic, because as stated earlier, I am non confronty. Yet here I am waning to be on a team sport. The geeky theatre kid in me cries alone in the night...
Sadly, this all costs money that selling plasma will not finance.
So the job hunt continues, and one more lofty idea is placed on a shelf next to unread books and letters that deserve replies.

In personal news, I am still single and looking for absolutely nothing to change that. I feel like I should be on the prowl, but think that it's best I am alone to think about shit and why I am the way I am and write blogs about nothing in particular. I hear chicks dig that. And scars...

As per usual, Stay Awesome.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.