Monday, June 9, 2008

A tentative sigh of accomplished relief. Now the real work starts.

See, the deal with writing a script is that you actually have to think that you have the right to write it. No pun intended.
I didn't think I had that right.
I didn't want to be that one guy who pumps out a few pages, and realize only later that it is a piece of shit.

Too much is riding on this script to have it be a piece of shit.

I know I sound like a self aggrandizing asshole, but i have wicked low self esteem when it comes to stuff like this, because it really means a lot to me, and if it suck, then I am doomed to work in coffeeshops all my life, and try to marry into money.
While that sounds fine and dandy, I see myself as something more. One day. Maybe not today or tomorrow, but someday... I was born at 11:11pm against all odds. I was meant for something more.
More than a coffeeshop.
But don't get me wrong, the free coffee is a perk.

And so, the script is done.
It's called 'Confessions of a Fringe Technician'
It goes up in Indianapolis for the Fringe Festival there at the end of August.

I was asked the other day (and several times over the last year or so) if I was going to do JAWS The Musical yet again.
They said it in a snarky way that made me feel like shit. like that was the only trick this one pony could accomplish.
Of course, that person worked in a theatre for years, yet never saw any of the shows produced there.
Thats the equivalent of working in a coffeeshop and not drinking coffee. Or being the person behind the DMV counter and not driving.
A travel agent who is afraid of the world.
You get the idea.
So eff that person. She sucks anyway.
Now I have this thing that is mine all mine. No collaborators. No Jaws The fucking musical.
Don't get me wrong, having done a top ten fringe show my first time out was too good to be true. I have a lot to live up to, and I am nervous as hell.
But at the end of the day, all I want to do is make people smile and laugh. Maybe forget some troubles for an hour or so.
And the fact that I love my audience helps a lot. Not many people can say that with a straight face. I don't think I'm better than them, and I want them to be involved.
I mean, I am better at making out than they are, but I have to have one gold star, right?

So today, I am correcting stuff that is dumb, and probably adding a quiet little character whose only job is to steal the show. No big deal.

Here's to Theatre. Something I like very much.
Almost as much as Highlander.

And you stay Awesome too.

Andy


ps- The Monday Night Comedy Show is back after a two week vacation.
Come see the show at 8pm for $3
At The Beat Coffeehouse
1414 West 28th Street
Uptown. Minneapolis.

Rad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.