Wednesday, June 17, 2009

A milestone and other things.

The Monday Night Comedy Show celebrated its 100th show a couple days ago.
We had 75 audience members and 11 performers & staff in the big room that night.
It was our largest show to date.
The acts were great, and the audience had a fantastic time. It was standing room only at The Beat Coffeehouse, and I couldn't have been happier.
Minutes before the house opened, Joel gave me the go ahead to tell everyone we would be returning to The Beat in September. The uproarious applause was wonderful.
I know what The MNCS means to me personally, but I often forget what it means to other people.
I don't think about the fact that so many relationships that make people very happy were given the opportunity to happen as a result of a comedy show in a coffeehouse in Uptown on a night reserved for doing nothing but decompressing after the first workday of the week.
Jen and Bill got to know each other more and ended up falling in love
Nick and Kate are drunk off of each other because I kept bugging him to come to the show.
Matt and Aislinn are pretty much missing in action these days because they met through a slight suggestion from me. "Matt likes you. I think you two should date"

I went through the performance waivers and running orders for the show earlier on Monday. I wanted to see how many people have performed at the show.

215 individuals so far. And my numbers might be inaccurate. But that says a lot about how many performers live in this town, and how many are prone to being funny.
If you think about it, there are lots of others who do comedy who have never bothered with, or been able to perform the show.
I'm sure they will come around, though. We are kind of an institution now.

So this is a kind of 'I'm Gloating' post. I'm proud of my little show. I am happy I have gotten to know so many of the best performers in the Twin Cities. And I am thankful at the same time. If the performers sucked, the audience would stop coming, and if the audience sucked, the performers would stop coming.
It's a catch 22 that makes me happy.

So the show will be back in early September. Before that, however, I am due for some serious writing time. I might even practice not using so many run on sentences...
People keep asking me what I am writing when I am down in Indianapolis. Honestly, I don't know.
I would like to write a big long story and have it be read by lots of people.
That would be wonderful.
But I know myself, and really what this is going to be is a test of my follow through and endurance.
I want to see if I believe in myself enough to not care what people think i should be doing or writing about. I want to write about something I want. In a style and voice all my own.

But don't worry, I won't be going all radio silence this Summer.
I still have a show that I need to book acts for, and not to mention promote in a more aggressive way.
And then there is life stuff.
I need to find a job when i get back that will allow me to live on my own without roommates for the first time in a long while.
It will be a studio, i am sure.
Just enough room for my cat and I.
At present, i am not really looking forward to that. I am a social person who has had a fair share of alone time in my life.
But, I do like to walk around naked and figure out tv theme songs on accordion...
In the Fall, i also have a lot of projects to look forward to besides the MNCS.
John and i are going to write more songs together and try to perform them somewhere.
Gus Lynch, host of Laugh Rock Repeat showed interest on Monday after we did our 'Robot Love' and 'The British Prison Colony Song'
I am sure we have more funny in us that is yet untapped.
And then there is the hope of re-mounting JAWS The Musical!
John and I have to write more dialogue, and a few new songs to make that happen.
There is more, but I have stuff I need to accomplish today.
Oh, i forgot to mention that I read some stuff at Kierans Irish Pub last night for WonderDave's 'Juvenalia' show. You were to read things you wrote as a kid. Most were sweet and cute, but mine was from High School and in regards to my first official Girlfriend. Very dark and Emo. But in hindsight, hilarious.
I was talking to WD and i think I want to try to do slam poetry come the Fall.
So many plans, we'll see where I end up.

I hope you have a great Wednesday. Talk to you soon.

Stay Awesome.

Andy

ps- I do have several MNCS tee shirts still available, so if you want to help me recoup my money, please tell me you want one. They are $12 and it would help me out on my trip quite a bit. Thanks.

pps- Having an impromtu going away for a two months thing at The Green mill Uptown on Friday night at 9:30pm. Feel free to bring birthday presents for me, as I will be gone... ;)
-A-

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.