Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The stuff of dreams.

While I am fighting the sickness of a thousand dying suns, I wanted to tell you all about this dream I had the other day.
To preface, I was laying down for a nap after being on the front porch for hours taking a gander at www.awkwardfamilyphotos.com Truly a funny site. My favourite is the captions that go with the pictures that are primarily from the early 90's when fashion stopped and was replaced by acid washed evil.
Good stuff.
So I was laying down for a long Autumn nap before I had to help move a grill with my buddy Fingers.
My friends let me sleep longer than anticipated, and it was greatly appreciated since I got to have an adventure of a curious sort with some of my childhood heroes.

I was a mother effen heimer Ghostbuster.
The child that still resides in 1985 was scratching his way to the surface. I remember going to see the first showing of this timeless classic at The Boulevard Theater in south Minneapolis (off of Lyndale and Diamond lake road. it is now a Hollywood Video, Subway and some other little bistro. but the marquee is still there. Telling me that childhood memories are easily replaced with whatever passes for 'Progress'

I found myself in a huge old mansion. I was on the top floor which looked like a cross between a warehouse used for a rehearsal for 'FAME' and the top floor of Edward Scissorhand's house. Bill Murray and I were sweeping up the years of dust and debris. Come to think about it, he was just there. I was doing all the work. While sweeping, I noticed a small spider was biting my knuckles. I am sure this means something, but I am also sure that Bill Murray not doing any work means more.
In dreams, you transition quickly into rooms and situations. This was no different. I was descending what must have been the servant's stairwell. to go see what the others were up to.
Going up the stairs at a very fast pace was Fred Beukema. A friend from Minneapolis, and one of the members of the now defunct Mime Rifle improv team.
He was wearing a white labcoat, and I asked him if he thought it was as cool as I did that we were Ghostbusters. He said that he wasn't a ghostbuster, just a token scientist. I was upset for him.

Bill Murray and I made it to the great hall of the Mansion, where the other members of the group were. In the room with them were their wives and children.
They were going through what looked to be the contents of a sizeable costume and prop collection from a large theatre. I later realized that that is what the mansion used to be: A Theatre.

I remember all the Ghostbusters being excited at all the ornate costumes. The wives were sitting there not amused.
I called out 'remember everyone, if you find any knives or swords, I call dibs'
Just then, Dan Ackroyd yelled "I found one!" he was holding up a huge battle axe.
All of the other Ghostbusters immediately held up swords and weapons of their own and were very excited. Ackroyd then threw the battle axe up to the ceiling in a swift cartoonish motion. The tip of the axe caught his beltloop and through the magic of dreams, he went up with it. The axe stuck in the ceiling, and he was dangling there like a scene from a Laurel & Hardy movie. Everyone laughed except for Ernie Hudson who was genuinely worried about his friend.

And then Lisa woke me up.

So that was my rather anti-climactic dream about Ghostbusting. But mostly sweeping floors with Bill Murray. And seeing Fred, who I haven't seen in a long time.

Did I mention that Harold Ramis only responded to the name 'Tricky'? I doubt that has any meaning at all.

In other news, I have moved my tickets with some degree of difficulty to November 4th.
I don't think there is anything more anti-climactic than that, considering my mood about it. More on that another time.

Stay Awesome,
Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.