Thursday, November 27, 2008

Tis a gift to be simple, Tis a gift to be free.

And so the season begins.
Today, as it happens is Thanksgiving.
And while I try my best to not follow the rest, I feel it only appropriate to say what I am thankful for.
Because today we tell all. A cornucopia (Corn of plenty?) of things we ought to say everyday, but are too busy telling stories about squirrels in kitchens and who is playing The Monday Night Comedy Show.
I'm thankful.
I am crazy thankful.
I am thank.
I am full. Wait, no I'm not. I am working.
And I will not be enjoying too much food until Saturday night, when I am surrounded by my best friends.
As friends go, I am not one to specify who is 'best' we all know what is best.
Conan says 'To Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women'
True that, homeboy. True that.
But I do refer to my Indiana clan as my best friends. And I won't take it back.
Nor will I take back this:

Batman is the best fictional character ever created.
Therefore, I am thankful for Bob Kane.

Highlander is one of the best franchises known to mankind. Therefore, I am thankful for swords.
Without those, how would anyone know how to fence?
Or behead someone to take their powers and knowledge?

And little things like watching the movie 'Amelie' alone when you are sad, and being thankful for it making you feel better.
And watching 'Love Actually' with someone you really care about. In the end, you are crying, and holding hands a little tighter so as to not ever let go.
I like making forts and sleeping in them. It makes me feel safe when I am far away from the ones I love. And if I had the technical knowhow to make a throne to sit on as I contemplate my kingdom with a furrowed brow, I would be thankful for that too. Both the throne and the ability to make it.
I like my family quite a bit. I think you should be thankful for them everyday. Not just when you eat turkey or are watching a parade.
But that one is too obvious. And they don't fall under the canopy of 'little things'
They are your team, you know? The ones who have got your back in any situation you may find yourself in.
I may not talk to my family as much as I should, but I think about them a lot. Much more than I ever tell them.
And while we have our own unique brand of problems, we would still sit in a living room together and find ways to make each other laugh. That is what families are all about. To me, anyway.
And my family is a very funny one.
I'm thankful for that, too.
Oh, and Christmas eve, sleeping in front of the TV with the fireplace dvd playing.
With christmas music playing in the background.
And kids playing with wrapping paper more than the toys they just got. I think that is hilarious.
Irony. I am thankful for irony.
And Iron for that matter.
Who has figured out the riddle of steel? Thulsa Doom, that's who.
Seriously, watch a movie people. My pop culture only makes you smirk so much until I seem stupid.
I am thankful for my sense of humor.
I like my newest roommate, Dani. She is so much better than the last one. And she is a good baker and lets Chris and I steal tasty goodness.
I am thankful for gadgets. They are fun.
What else? What else?
Coffee. I am thankful for coffee. Oh sweet baby Thor, am I thankful for coffee.
I am thankful that people I went to high school with are still attractive. Even after so many years. Sounds petty, and it is, but I know a lot of good looking people. And when I see what is passed off as 'Hot' in the media these days, I am always comparing those I know to those I see on the telly. And my people always win.
I am thankful that I just typed 'Telly' without thinking about it.
People who tip even though they just bought a can of soda. You guys rule.

Brian Wilson. That is all.

Warm woolen mittens can suck it. Just kidding. I like them, it's just that I don't have any.
Scarves are rad, though.

At any rate, I am not thankful for my short attention span. I would like to write more, and thank all those who keep me in check for the most part, but I think you know who you are.

I brought my sewing kit to work today so I could patch up my bike seat that is in shreds.
I have to get back to that.

I hope you feel thankful all the time.
And I hope you Stay Awesome.
And I hope that you hope I Stay Awesome too, because I would be thankful for that.

Enjoy the day and the night.

Andy

2 comments:

  1. That is totally what I was going to name MY "things I'm thankful for" blog...

    Happy Thanksgiving, Andy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.