Thursday, November 12, 2009

Now for something a bit more positive. albeit veiled in whistfulness.

It's been a week.

I gave myself a present of one week to just mess around and not do too much. Sort of re-acclimate myself to the steady constant drumming of Minne, meaning Water & Polis, meaning city.

Water city. Water world. Where dry land is a myth. (for Linds)
I'm not going to lie: It was quite a change. Minneapolis is my home. It's where my Mom and Sisters live. Where I have two wonderful nieces and a wonderful nephew. It's where the heart is, and where my hat is hung. So why is it that I still have this nagging bit in the back of my mind that I don't have a home? I am not sad to be back. not by any stretch. The 'welcome homes' that I have received have been many and heartfelt. I have even more people that I still haven't seen yet, and i look forward to the hugs they will offer. I missed so many people. But I have a list of folks that I just wish were here too.
I want to watch my AnniePants grow up. I want to learn to play Warcraft under the strict guidance of James. I need that quiet glass of wine and talking about everything on the porch under the orange glow of lights with Lisa. I want to hear about how Lindsay's Mom totally LOVES me from Lindsay. I wish that Fingers was here to tell me about some gutbusting burger he had on the way to work. I want to talk Doctor Who theories with Andrew. I miss my Glee Wednesday nights over at Jenny's house. I want to watch Adam start to walk. And Amanda. There is so much more I want to share with her.
There are plenty more people who affect me there, but those are my dorch gang. My people. It wasn't the best Summer of my german hemmingway, but it wasn't the worst. There were ups and downs and things I am wont to forget. But there are those other moments that defined the word 'amazing', and made the word 'Perfect' is too dull to use to describe.
I swam in the ocean this Summer. I sat on the front porch of the house I knew when I was fresh from the hospital. I saw two friends work hard to egt into nursing school. I was involved in a fantastic musical about Edgar Allen Poe's greatest hits. I tried cutting my own hair to the dismay of everyone. I danced like it was the first time. And I cried like it was the end of the world when it was all over. I saw some shit this summer. But I also lived a little bit.

I'm not a perfect man. I am far from it. I do know my limitations, and I accept my shortcomings. It is this that makes me still have hope for the future. And i have it in spades. I know that nothings gonna break my stride, and if I died tomorrow, I would be so pissed off that I would have to wait to see the people I love for so long.
But wherever i was going with that will have to be continued another time. I have tomorrow to deal with. And then the next day. And so on and so on.

I am here in Minneapolis. As luck would have it, I brought with me from Indiana balmy weather. it has been so nice here this past week. And while I steal some neighbors interweb signal in my comfy chair at the back of my garage, I am not freezing my ass off while I type this.

I wasn't in minneapolis long before I was whisked away to Winona, MN to celebrate Mandy's 21st Birthday. My sister Amy drove us down, and it was nice because the last road trip we had together was in 1987 when she drove me back home to Minneapolis from a Month long stay in Indy as was some mysterious custody decree that I am still a bit fuzzy on.
Amy is a wonderful sister, and we never fall short of things to talk about. We tried to keep the visit a surprise for Mandy, who asked that we come the following day to visit.
The look on her face was priceless, and let me tell you: nothing makes you feel old like drinking with 21 year olds in a college town in a college bar.

What else have I done?
Yard work for my Mom. She insists on raking leaves before all the leaves have fallen.
I love her anyway.
I went to see some local Comedy shows. I am trying to do that more. Not as a networking thing, but as a 'you come to mine, I'll come to yours' thing. The show is very improtant to me, and i know that comes through with how I host, but I think it's important to show the talent that says yes to performing that I really do appreciate them. without them, it would just be me up there saying stupid unrehearsed things as audience members quickly file out and set the building on fire.
So I went to The Corner Bar to see the Comedy Underground open Mic.
Then I went to ACME for their open mic.
And tonight I went to Grumpy's for the Death Comedy Jam.
I might be going to Rochester tomorrow to see a show there. It all depends if the Zissou ends up going. I hope he does. I hear that Amber Preston might be there... ;)
hahaahhahahahahha.
Meanwhile...
On Sunday I spent the whole day dressed up as a vampire and hanging out with my best friend John. Probably the best way to spend a Sunday. I have pictures to post on facebook. I looked ridiculous.
And very bloody. And very, VERY sticky.

My friend Aaron Gwirtz offered to host the MNCS website on his site. he is also doing a million dollars worth of work with it. The site should be up and running by Monday at the very latest. I am so grateful to everyone who helps me with the show. Their infectious enthusiasm toward something that I hold so dear is again one of those 'If I die Tomorrow, it will all be worth it' kind of things. What with Jen and the flyer/logo design or Katy and all the photos she takes, or linds; Roni; Zissou and WonderDave. I sometimes feel like a magnet for rockstars. there ought to be a law... (anyone? true Stories? Lisa feels me...)
So yeah. website for the show of shows, and speaking of, we have a neat little season 3 opener this Monday night at 8pm That's the 16th of November, and it seems like only yesterday that I was getting th go ahead from Joel to start booking acts.
Today in the City Pages (Nuvo equivelant for Indy folks) we are listed in the A-List.
Th write up by my friend and great comic Bryan Miller is fantastic. You can see a link to it on my facebook page.
I know I gloat and rant and rave and pull my hair out over this show. I know you might be sick of hearing me talk about it. But I really think it's something special. And one of the only nights of the week where you get to see a tiny glimpse of who I was at a much younger age. The guy who hosts the show is very similar to that guy who somehow made friends with Jenny and Lisa all those years ago. That means nothing to you, but the world to me. And once again, it's my party and I'll bla bla bla if I want to.
So if you get the chance to see show number 101, I hope you come early to get a good seat.

If you are reading this, know that I miss you, so you should probably write me or call me. I'll try to do the same.

Stay Awesome till the sun explodes.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.