Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Always Bet on Black.

I wrote a line in my show that is a reference to 'Passenger 57' The Wesley Snipes movie form the 90's that I never saw.
I always meant to, but life and kids got in the way, and since Hera killed my family in a jealous rage over Zeus' infidelity, I have been traveling the Grecian countryside helping folks in need and battling monsters. I just don't have the time to see Wesley Snipes on a plane.
But aside form watching WAY too much Hercules episodes, I was drunk one night and decided it would be funny to pretend that all fringe technicians say 'Always bet on Black' It was a tag line for the movie. Again, I never saw it. I can only guess that they were referring to Wesley Snipes doing theatre tech work on the side.
Do you get it? Techs wear Black? Always bet on your Tech? Is this thing on?
I bet that I would get at least one laugh out of the audience with that line. I only bet a dollar, so I won't be out many dinars (Hercules!) if no one laughs.
But the more I think about that one line, I am starting to think that the success of the show rests on that alone. And if I have to hand over a dollar, I will be handing over a piece of my soul that I will never get back. And I will also blame Wesley Snipes. I will blame him so hard.
So if you are good enough to come and see the show, you will hear that line. And if you are really cool, you will laugh for hours on end at how clever I can be when I have imbibed too many Whiskey-Diets.

My show is going to be terrible. I just know it. Wesley Snipes? He doesn't care about Fringe. This is what you get for worshiping false gods.

I think I am feeling like a failure because I have been reading and re-reading the show in hopes of actually memorizing it before the 22nd (opening night). I am not very good an remembering lines. Last year, I got a script that we were doing for The Fringe one week before I was due to arrive in Indy.
The show ended up being number one in the festival, but was panned by people who had never even seen it. Actually, it was panned by the person in charge of the festival itself. To my face, no less. And even though it wasn't the absolute best show ever written, people still liked it. We had fun doing it, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. But doesn't being number one mean there was something redeemable about the show? And are you even allowed to badmouth it if you didn't see it? I am still trying to figure out that one. Wesley Snipes would have to agree, I am sure of it.

My job for the next few days is to read the show five times outloud to help me take it all in. You would think that because I wrote it, I would know what the score is, but you would be wrong.
I am a boy. We don't learn things well. Women will understand this.

I am fast approaching the one week till all the shit goes down. By all the shit, I mean i start the trek to Indy and see if people think Wesley Snipes humor is funny. Which it is not.

The rest of this blog will not have anything to do with Fringe. Or Indianapolis. Or Wesley Snipes.

I mentioned that I have been watching a lot of Hercules episodes.
I don't know why that is, save for the fact that it is hilarious to me. And who doesn't like goddesses with amazing cleavage? And really bad computer generated effects?
No one I want to know, thats who. And I bet Wesley Snipes loves that stuff too. Oops. Sorry.

There is about to be a poetry reading in my coffee shop. I only tell you this because I want you to feel the pain with me. There are only three kinds of people who are bad tippers. And they are:
1) Christians. The hardcore kind. the one who are so hardcore that a 'denomination' cannot be chosen. You have to be born again and speak in tongues. Trust me on this one.
2) Barack Obama supporters.
3) Poetry reading attendees.

I am pretty sure that Republicans should be on that list, but I try not to get all political in my writing.

Oh, on a Fringe note, I have decided that all of my house music will be Prince songs.
Viva La Minneapolis.

Ahh. The poets are here.

Save me.

Stay Awesome.

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.