Sunday, August 10, 2008

FRINGE MADNESS.

I feel like I am in a basement that is flooding and all I have is a paper cup.
Let me explain the visual, for I am part crazy.

The 'basement' symbolizes my life.
The 'flooding' represents all of the goings on in my 'basement'
'Paper' means a material made out of mashed up wood pulp.
A 'cup' is a container to hold all of the 'goings on'.
'I' refers to 'myself'
and I am definitely freaking out.

Freaking out because I am at work right now and it is earlier than 9AM on a Sunday.
Sundays are meant to rest. Says so in the bible. Oh! Speaking of Bible:
I received a birthday card last month from my Mom that made noise when you opened it. It played the Imperial march from Star Wars or maybe it was the main title. It's the one Vader struts down to in the corridors of the death star . Anyway, since I am not one to throw anything away (except all those jars of urine from my failed attempt at being an eccentric billionaire) I took out the sound card and placed it in my bible. That way, whenever I go back to church someday when I am trying to be some semblance of a good parent, I will open up the good book and make my kids laugh and laugh. And make the other churchgoers frown and frown. I am not worried. I think church is funny, and Jesus loves a good sound effect.

I digress.

So I am in full Fringe mode, and with all the stuff that comes with it, clinically insane.
The thing that most people don't realize about being an out of town group in a Fringe Festival, is that there are about 4 Billion people on the planet who don't give a hoot about you or your show that you worked so hard to get on its feet. Most of those people havent even heard of the festival, and think you are talking about decorative bits on ugly clothing from the 70's. Those are the people you want coming to your show. The ones who are not looking for deep, meaningful, insightful, beautiful, ful-ful theatre. Not me, anyway. I want the folks who like quick and dirty laughs who don't take themselves or those around too seriously. The ones who would vote for John Stewart if he were actually going to run for office. The ones who still buy happy meals to get the totally sweet car or the barbie doll just so they can give it to some kid who won't shut up at a restaurant. (I may be whimsical and happy go lucky, but I hate it when kids freak out at the sizzler)*
I like my comedy funny and dipped in chocolate funny, with a molten chocolate funny middle.
And I will never ever try and teach you a lesson during my show. Lessons are for Summer School, and there is a song that says 'Schools out for Summer' so technically, now is not the time for School. Or lessons. Or '80's songs. It is time for Fringe. And '80's songs.

I told you I was freaking out.

So my show might be pretty funny. I won't tell you the actual answer, you have to come see for yourself. For my Minnesota friends, it might be a bit of a hike for you. For my Indiana and Chicago chums, well baby put on your hiking shoes. Seriously. You should come. It's better than pie. And if you don't like pie, go to hell. Pie is Awesome.
Think of the title: 'Confessions of a Fringe Technician' Sounds funny, right? Looks like it may be the breakout hit of the summer? Hell yeah! I was going to name it: 'The Dark Knight' but someone had to steal my thunder. I suppose there is still time to write 'The Dark Knight: The Musical!' (Please don't tell me that would be hilarious. It wouldn't. It would end up being like those horrible 'Scary movie' rip off's. Trust in The Andy. Trust.)

Where was I? Oh yeah. I don't like those Scary movie rip off's.
Also, Fringe, while taking up most of my Summer: Not as bad as i make it out to be. In fact, I flipping love it. I love the people I meet, I love the process, I love opening night and the nervous energy, I love the after parties, I love how air conditioned the venues are, I love getting flyers for other shows (even though I complain about it). And I love other stuff.

What do I have left to do for my 2008 magnum opus? Here is a list. More for me, but you enjoy too. Let's get through this together.

- Finalize the house music cd's. not too hard to do, but my music tastes stopped in the 90's, so I am not only dated, I actually like Ace of Base.
- Get the flyers ordered. This will require a proof from Aaron Gwirtz (located in NYC [where they make Picante Sauce]) Aaron showed me the first version of the flyer, and it kicks so much ass. It helps having talented friends.
- Gather up all the costume pieces.
- Props! I need about 9 fake guns that do not look fake. and other stuff, but I need some stuff that will be pried from my cold dead hands. In a theatre kind of way.
- Earn enough money to make the trip to indy in a car. Those drink gasoline. Gasoline is a million dollars a pound or something. I don't know. I don't drive.
- Learn how to write shorter blogs.
- Programs? Aaron is handling that too. He is best.
- Somehow make people say they will come to see the show. And have them actually do it.
- Memorize the script.
- Sound effects. Crickets. Opera. Gunshots Oh My.
- Memorize the script.
- Buy over 200 juice boxes. If not more. (Don't you want to see the show now?)
- Memorize the script.

So there is a lot to do. And we have a rehearsal today at 4:30pm.
Keep in mind, I am doing the last performance of the MN Fringe show I am in called 'Waking in Minneapolis' It's at The Mixed Blood Theatre. 2:30pm. Go see it.
And after the show, but before as well, i am to make 4 more tee shirts for 'Musical the Musical'
See, I also make limited run tee shirts for friends who do theatre. In my Kitchen. Not that they do theatre in my kitchen, but rather, i make the shirts in my kitchen. Naked.
Not that I make the tee shirts naked. I go see theatre naked.
...
I think I have blogged enough for today.
Indyfringe, I am coming for your children. Please start spreading the word.
Join the Mime Rifle Productions facebook group.
Say you are gonna come to see the show on the facebook events page thingy.
Poke me on facebook, but aske me to be your friend first.
Oh, and don't forget The Monday Night Comedy Show tomorrow at 8pm
$3 gets you in the door (which opens at 7:30pm)
Lots of fun with Stand up and Improv and maybe some Karaoke.

Have a good one. Tonight I drink at First Avenue. You shall come, yes?

Stay Awesome.
Andy





* I'm kidding. I haven't been to a Sizzler in years. I meant to say a five star establishment like Perkins or Steak 'n Shake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.