Sunday, August 31, 2008

And in the end...

Today marks the end of a very 'something something' part of my life.
The Indianapolis Theatre Fringe festival has been a very important end of Summer event for me these last few years.
And while it hasn't been the best festival for me personally, I am really happy for the groups that kicked ass and took names for the last 10 days.
I saw Matt Fotis' show yesterday, and was really taken aback at his storytelling prowess. I laughed outloud several times instead of doing the usual 'smile and nod approvingly' thing that most comedic writers and performers do.
It's our usual way of showing that we enjoy what we are seeing, and wish like hell that it was us up there getting the laughs.
I never once thought I could do it better than he. All i wanted was to hear more.
I could give higher praise, but he might think i am into him ;)

I will be seeing more shows this evening, and chatting it up with some people that i have had the pleasure to meet later at the closing night party.
I am sure that Pauline Moffat, the director of the festival will hug me and talk to me like I am four years old. She may even tell me that sometimes, all I have to do to be successful in a fringe festival is to write a better show. That is the kind of stuff that comes out of her mouth. I hope not just to me.
And I swear, if she invokes the success of Jaws, i will scream in her face that I know she never even saw it, and that Josh Carson's 'Recently Dead Celebrities' was the number one selling show of last years festival. Another one she never saw, but had the audacity to say it wasn't good to my face last year. I might lose my shit tonight. Especially if there is free australian wine and that Jimmy Buffet beer that tastes like water.

'Free' is now my favourite word this week. Toppling over the word 'awesome' that has been on top for many years. Money is beyond tight, and getting home willbe an adventure. I will be planning a garage sale as soon as I get back to the cities. Anyone want to buy my stuff?

Tonight is our last show of 'Confessions of a Fringe Technician'
At 9:00pm, at the American Cabaret Theatre, I will be doing a four person show with two people. The second actor is none other that Jason Kruger, who has said yes to everything I have asked of him, and still wants to give more. Without him, I would have thrown in the towel on Wednesday of last week.
He is funny, his timing is near perfect, and in yesterdays show, he made the script funnier with his energy and ad-libs. We were both dripping with sweat and about ready to pass out after the show, and I know it will be no different tonight except even more fun since it is the last of the summer wine, as they say.
Truth be told, I am looking forward to tonight's show. We may play to an audience of three people, who may consist of all Fringe volunteers, but at least we will go out with a yell and not a wimper. I have Jason to thank for it, and I suggest using him in any production you may be thinking of doing in the future.
I know I will.

Jason's mantra for me throughout all the shit:
"Nothing is Fucked here, Dude. Nothing is Fucked."

To which I always reply: 'Fuck it, Dude. Let's just go bowling'

Tonight will be our last ditch effort to get gas money for minneapolis. And maybe some snacks.
My Mom and I had lunch today and talked about all manner of things about the state of our family, my future in Politics (theatre) and the state of my hometown and all those damned roundabouts they keep putting in. It was wonderful. We talked as friends, not as parent and child. She did buy my lunch, though, so that was pretty motherly of her.
And she made me a batch of the pistachio green marshmallow fluff that I could eat forever and never get sick of. Maybe Jason and I will snack on that. If I let him even touch it.
She also gave me three boxes of poptarts.
Judy rules.

So tomorrow I am on the road. No time for blogging, Dr. Jones.
I will miss my Indiana people more than ever, as I have developed bonds I never dreamed were possible in only 13 days.
And knowing me, i will cry and Jason will get all uncomfortable and I'll start writing poetry or something like a girl.
But it will be worth it. Everything on this trip was worth it, except maybe the festival which was the reason for the trip.
And even that didn't suck so bad that I won't be back next year for it. But next year, I will bring an army with me. Jason will be the General, and I will be the emperor or king or just the weepy little girl man who writes poetry because his friends are so wonderful here.
But yeah... I'll be back really soon.
So soon, it will make my Minnesota friends uncomfortable.

I'm going to leave you with something from my favourite book. It is written on my left forearm, so if you want to see it, just ask. It's the last paragraph of 'The Little Prince'

If you should come upon this spot, please do not hurry on.
Wait for a time, exactly under the star.
Then, if a little man appears who laughs, who has golden hair
and who refuses to answer questions, you will know who he is.
If this should happen, please comfort me.
Send me word that he has come back.
Stay Awesome all of you.
Andy

1 comment:

  1. To they whom be not I but thee say to thee from not of I. Unto they whom know not of thine deeds, say, "Nay I have nayeth seen defeat." Say unto they who nayeth be thee or I, to they say ,"Bitches bewareth! The king wareth his smile like a shark wareth his grin,for I the King have looketh defeath in the eyes and kicketh he in his testies!"


    I pulled out all the stops for this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.