Thursday, August 28, 2008

So that happened...

Last night's show was fun in the fact that I realized I will never be a very good Writer, Director or Actor.
Now, hear me out:
I might not be very good, but I WILL have fun doing it. That part, I am never ever going to stop.
Not in a million bajillion years.

I am not sure who derailed the show last night, but the fact that it has happened with ever show I have performed here in Indy, does not bode well.
Audience numbers for my show have been dismal to say the least.
Last night, we had 9 paying people.
Nine.
Gas back to The Twin Cities needs an audience of at least 15.
I won't even go into how much money has gone into this show. But I will say that it is around the 80 paying audience members mark.

Getting back to the de-railment:
I am going to just say that it was me, so i don't piss anyone off.
The word 'thankful' does not do justice to the way I feel towards the Technicians who are running the Sound and light boards. They do their best to follow along in a script that really isn't too hard to follow, it's just that we keep jumping around an average of 10 pages, then double back 15 pages and then say lines backwards and then in Portugese and then in Binary code. Sometimes, one of the mildly amusing jokes I have written is actually said, but by then, it is lost in the ether that is 'Confessions of a Fringe Technician: The most confusing show on planet IndyFringe'

Nuvo, the Indy equvalent of The Twin Cities' City Pages reviews the Fringe shows they can scrape enough people to go see. I only say that because quite a few shows (mostly out of town groups) were omitted from the reviewing because 'they just couldn't get to a show'
Well, we were seen by Nuvo, and here is what they said:


Confessions of a Fringe Technician
Two stars
Minnesota
American Cabaret Theatre
This pale imitation of Kiss Me Kate and Noises Off doesn’t measure up to previous Fringe offerings. Three actors and a technician bandy about the show they’ll bring to IndyFringe, throwing in local references and revealing their individual quirks while “breaking down the fourth wall” at the same time that they’re trying to build it with a mocking script stitched with bits and pieces of bad theater across time. —RK
Aug. 27, 7:30 p.m.; Aug. 30, 1:30 p.m.; Aug. 31, 9 p.m.

Now, I have neevr seen Kiss Me Kate, but I always wanted to.
Noises off is one of my favourites, but I admit, i have only seen the movie version. I can only assume my character was the one Christopher Reeve played.

The star numbers were low this year all around, but I at least was hoping we would have gotten NO STARS WHATSOEVER.
Seriously, thank you NUVO for being way too nice to us.
I think it might be because I mention in the script how the actors have to be nice to all the nuvo people... I don't think we deserved any stars.
The show is literally a train wreck.
I might be able to say that it is being workshopped, and this in no way reflects the actual finished product, but I have to stop starting the show with the lines: "This show is NOT being Workshopped. THIS IS the finished product."
;)

Last night I stopped the show in true Brynildson style and addressed the audience as I would on any given Monday Night Comedy Show:
" I'm sorry. I have to stop right here and tell you guys something. We have gone SO FAR off the script that I cannot in good concience let it go on. I want you to see a show that I wrote, and not some random scenes. (Some audience memebrs were snickering) No, this is not in the script. This is me, Andy Brynildson from Minneapolis Minneasota talking to you as a Fringe Producer to the Audience. I am now taking control, and (referring to the actors) I want to take it all back to such and such a line. Sorry, folks for the derailment. Viva La Fringe"

So I kind of screwed the actors. I might have looked like a total dick. Am I sorry? Not a chance in your pants. This still is my show, and I'll be damned if I will be rememebered in Indy as the guy who can't laugh at how terrible his stuff is. That is my one super power: I can laugh at myself and make people feel comfortable with it. I never give them a chance to laugh at me, only with me. And I'm gonna give myself the only pat on the back I feel I deserve:

I'm really fucking good at it.

That said, who knows what the show will be like on Saturday or Sunday? I sure don't.
Something is gonna happen. I'll let you know as soon as I can.

On a side note:
Pauline, The Artistic Director Pulled me aside and said that she still didn't have my application fee for the festival. I gave her a credit card number and expiry date in March. Probably even earlier.
It is now August, and apparently, all she needed was the little three digit security code on the back of the card.
Do the math on how long she has had to ask me for three little numbers.
Now understand why Babar is in such a bad humour.

Viva La Fringe.

We eneded up at The Chatham Tap last night, as one of our party had to use the restroom, and she works there. We ended up staying till close. Kruger met the nice girl from Ohio who's show: 'In Rehearsal' we are planning on seeing this weekend. She is really nice, and he will be making pizza from scratch to impress us all. I think last night was a turning point, and the rest of the time here in Indy will be spent trying to prolong coming back to reality (minneapolis) It's no secret that I feel more comfortable here with Lisa, Jenny, Amanda and the Dorch Gang.
I think that Monday Morning will be coming too soon.

I ended the show last night with the line: "This was the most recent show that happened in this venue. Thank you for coming"
And so, I'll end with this:

This is the most recent blog entry. Thanks for reading.

Remember to Stay Awesome for Awesome's sake.

Andy.

2 comments:

  1. You know, Andy, I won't be able to see your show, but your blog is freaking hilarious. You're writing is really funny.
    Rock on brotherman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought your stopping the show in the middle was part of the show. I'm going to try and make it back and give it a second chance. I thought it was more Fringe Hamlet than "Kiss Me Kate".

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for telling me what you think.

Be nice, I'm fragile.